Thursday, March 22, 2007

Nutrition

I was reading some interesting articles a few days ago and its quiet common for long distance runners to underestimate their food intake by almost 2000 calories a day! So thats where my extra pounds are coming from. To be more vigilant, I have taken the following steps:

1. More complex carbs (hi-fibre) and less processed sugars. So Oatmeal is on my must-have breakfast list.
2. More fresh fruit and vegetables. I have been hitting the meats a lot more than I should have been. I am going to include some sort of salad during lunch plus a regular fruit snack a few hours before my run.
3. keep a journal. I'm thinking of logging my food intake just like I log them miles.
4. more frequent meals. In a recent study (not authoritative:) ) they took a 20 year old, 40 yearh old and 60 year old and gave them 3 daily meals totalling 2000 calories. the 20 metabolised 100%, 40 did 60% and 60 did 40%. When they broke up the same food intake into 5 meals all three groups metabolised 100%. So more frequent meals (total quantity should be the same)
5. magic number 40. In the 40 minutes after a work-out it is estimated that food you eat gets stored in the muscles, as opposed to going to the liver after the 40 minute timeout to be stored as fat? so must eat 40 minutes after my run
6. In my food journal, I should not have any reports of me being famished. Starving is not a good thing, the body doesnt like to have tricks played on it :)
7. more daaal (lentils) and other proteins. Protiens help repair and build muscle. This shall be in my dinner methinks
8. Omega3 fatty acids. Once a weak grilled salmon should take care of this, plus my cod-liver oil pills.
9. Hydration/electrolytes/salts. This one I'm doing aaaiiitte.

Well so much for my nutrition post. There are some interesting sites online:

www.dietdetective.com
http://www.mypyramid.gov/

2 comments:

Uzair said...

Not that I know what I'm talking about, but lentils (and veggies in general) aren't the best source of protein. They contain a good amount, but they don't have the full set of 9 amino acids that let the body process it well.

The solution? Whey protein, tuna (eww...) and chicken. Hmm...except you're cutting back on meat too. Wonder why...chicken has high protein and low fat, and since protein can't turn to fat, that's not the source of the extra poundage. Well...unless your quads are blowing up :)

What sort of pace are you running?

Saad Ansari said...

hahaha, I knew I couldnt get away with bs :) by meats, I meant the red kind. I am on a fairly heavy tuna and chicken diet as well, should have put that in. my quads are blowing up, its quite uncomfortable :) I'm doing a 10 minute mile pace these days.