Monday, April 30, 2007

ice ice baby...

This weekend marked the 17 mile marker for me (~ 2 hours 40 minutes) . I have never been so sore in my life. knees/joints/muscles everthing was aching. the solution as crazy as it sounds was an ice bath. waist deep in ice water while wearing my ice-age-is-coming-jacket gloves and hat. The first 5 minutes felt like my feet were about to explode. Then everything just goes numb. its very nice :) but 10 minutes is all I wanted to spend on this. the pain goes away and the endorphins do the rest. I'm on a 3 day runners high today. absolute bliss.

called up my doctor cousin. He said something about capillaries and blood and cold and good. So medically this is all very sound.

oh and never carry pretzels with extra salt in your pockets while running. this gives chafing a whole new meaning.


blurk blurk blurk

3 comments:

Uzair said...

That was amusing :)

I've never tried an ice bath...did you just do ice cubes in a tub?

Saad Ansari said...

I sat in the tub, turned on the timer, turned on the really really cold water. once i was waist deep, then I just added the ice. slow torture. make sure you're wearing a thick fleece though. dont want to get hypothermia!

Usman Shami said...

interesting !! must have been awesome when everything went numb!
is being sore a pre req for trying something like this? or can mere mortals like us 'try this at home'?